2017 was another year of incredible content distribution across an ever growing number of platforms. Here is a list of just a few of the things I enjoyed most. If you have an addition please use the forum to add your own content.
- My favorite financial book of 2017 – The Best Investment Writing, by a whole bunch of smart guys (and also me).
- My favorite academic paper – Do Stocks Outperform Treasury Bills? Hendrik Bessembinder
- My Favorite Bloomberg View piece – Some Market Myths Hurt Investors, Ben Carlson
- My favorite piece about Bitcoin – An Open Letter to Jamie Dimon, Adam Ludwin
- My Favorite Interview – A Conversation with David Swensen, CFR
- My Favorite Investing Blog Post of the Year – Volatility May Feel More Painful Next Time Around, by Econompic
- My Other Favorite Investing Blog Post of the Year – Waiting for the Market to Crash is a Terrible Strategy, Sam Lee
- My Favorite Podcasts of the Year (Tie) – Masters In Business with Marc Andreessen & Masters in Business with Ed Thorp.
- My Favorite Podcast Series of the Year – Hash Power – A Documentary on Blockchains & Cryptocurrencies, by Patrick O’Shaughnessy
- My Favorite Long Form Thought Piece – Profit Margins, Bayes’ Theorem, and the Dangers of Overconfidence, Jesse Livermore
- My Favorite Macroecon Research Piece – Demographics will reverse three multi-decade global trends, BIS
- My Favorite Investment Research Piece – Market Timing: Sin A Little, Cliff Asness
- My favorite piece on comparison and decision making – How Well Do You Compare? by Michael Mauboussin
- My Favorite Piece About Markets and Bubbles – The Reasonable Formation of Unreasonable Things, Morgan Housel
- My Favorite Piece Written by Myself this year – What is Enough?
Mr. Roche is the Founder and Chief Investment Officer of Discipline Funds.Discipline Funds is a low fee financial advisory firm with a focus on helping people be more disciplined with their finances.
He is also the author of Pragmatic Capitalism: What Every Investor Needs to Understand About Money and Finance, Understanding the Modern Monetary System and Understanding Modern Portfolio Construction.