Last year I posted a piece arguing that your house is generally a better overall option than renting (depending on where you live). The debate has really flared up in recent weeks. As with all investments and financial decisions this is a very personal decision, but here are some pretty good resources to help you make the decision that is right for you:
- Robert Shiller says don’t invest in housing
- Jeff Gundlach says housing is “overrated”
- Why do Americans think housing is such a good investment? – Me
- Why your home is not a good investment – Morgan Housel
- Two overrated rebuttals for why housing is a good investment – Morgan Housel
- Barry Ritholtz is a housing bull
- Josh Brown says housing has intangible investment benefits
- Is it better to buy or rent? – NY Times
- Buy vs rent Spreadsheet – Khan Academy
Mr. Roche is the Founder and Chief Investment Officer of Discipline Funds.Discipline Funds is a low fee financial advisory firm with a focus on helping people be more disciplined with their finances.
He is also the author of Pragmatic Capitalism: What Every Investor Needs to Understand About Money and Finance, Understanding the Modern Monetary System and Understanding Modern Portfolio Construction.
Comments are closed.