CNBC held their annual “Delivering Alpha” conference over the last few days and they had a well known collection of investment managers offer some of their favorite ideas. I’ve collected a few of them here, but please note the usual disclaimer applies (ie, these aren’t my ideas and I don’t endorse them!):
- Beau Tayler, Taylor Woods Capital – Long brent crude
- Bill Ackman, Pershing Square Capital – Long PG and JCP
- Bruce Richard, Marathon Asset Management – Long structured credits, high yield, avoid US govt debt.
- Dwight Anderson – Buy farmland, avoid corn, wheat and grains.
- Jim Chanos – Short HPQ
- Marc Lasry, Avenue Capital – Buy European debt, particularly private banks.
- Peter Briger, Fortress Investment Group – Hold cash, better opportunities to buy distressed European debts are coming.
Mr. Roche is the Founder and Chief Investment Officer of Discipline Funds.Discipline Funds is a low fee financial advisory firm with a focus on helping people be more disciplined with their finances.
He is also the author of Pragmatic Capitalism: What Every Investor Needs to Understand About Money and Finance, Understanding the Modern Monetary System and Understanding Modern Portfolio Construction.