Liz Ann Sonders of Schwab says we’re at an inflection point in the US economy. That’s right. She says we’ve missed the recession entirely, diverged from Europe and are now in an environment that reminds here of 1998. She offers 6 supporting points for her bullish thesis:
But supportive of a better jobs outlook have been several notable economic readings:
- The aforementioned improvement in the jobs picture
- The bounce in both the manufacturing and non-manufacturing ISM indices (in the case of the former, back above the 50 contraction/expansion line, after three months below it)
- The bounce in consumer confidence and sentiment readings
- Strong retail sales (even excluding gasoline), along with positive revisions to prior months
- Much better housing data, including a five-year low in foreclosure filings
- The 14th consecutive week of improvement in ECRI’s weekly leading index
Read the full report here.
Mr. Roche is the Founder and Chief Investment Officer of Discipline Funds.Discipline Funds is a low fee financial advisory firm with a focus on helping people be more disciplined with their finances.
He is also the author of Pragmatic Capitalism: What Every Investor Needs to Understand About Money and Finance, Understanding the Modern Monetary System and Understanding Modern Portfolio Construction.