Here are the slides from the presentation I gave at the University of South Carolina yesterday at their 33rd annual economic outlook conference. It was a really great event and it was nice talking to local business owners and many of the residents in South Carolina who make the economy there hum. The University put on a great event. Thanks to everyone who attended the event.
I don’t know if there will be video of the speech I gave, but my slides are pretty self explanatory. Here’s the quick summary:
- The USA has been through a historic credit crisis.
- The healing is a process, not an event.
- The economy remains extremely fragile, but growing!
- We are not Japan, we are Japan on “fast forward”
- This is not the 70’s!
- The private sector is increasingly running with the baton.
- The tapering is coming in 2014, but don’t mistake the taper for the end of easy money. The Fed will remain extremely accommodative.
- Tapering is a positive sign for the economy and the markets.
- The Fed won’t pull the rug out from under the markets.
- Don’t throw a taper tantrum. QE likely hasn’t had a hugely positive impact on the economy, therefore, reduction of QE likely won’t be a huge negative.
Let me now if you have any questions.
Mr. Roche is the Founder and Chief Investment Officer of Discipline Funds.Discipline Funds is a low fee financial advisory firm with a focus on helping people be more disciplined with their finances.
He is also the author of Pragmatic Capitalism: What Every Investor Needs to Understand About Money and Finance, Understanding the Modern Monetary System and Understanding Modern Portfolio Construction.