There’s finally a deal to get the government back up and running. And from the looks of it, it looks like it was a big waste of time. What did two weeks of government shutdown accomplish? Here’s the breakdown:
- Ted Cruz made a name for himself and raised a lot of money.
- Mitch McConnell’s home state got a $3B earmark.
- We all got to overlook how bad the introduction of Obamacare has been.
- We guaranteed that we’ll have the same discussion on January 15th, 2014 when the government will again need to approve more spending.
- We guaranteed we’ll hit the debt ceiling by February 7th, 2014 which gives more politicians time to grandstand, raise money and force us to suffer through their intolerable TV appearances.
- Oh, and it’s estimated that Q4 GDP will be shaved by about 0.5%. ALL FOR NO REASON.
Did I miss anything?
Mr. Roche is the Founder and Chief Investment Officer of Discipline Funds.Discipline Funds is a low fee financial advisory firm with a focus on helping people be more disciplined with their finances.
He is also the author of Pragmatic Capitalism: What Every Investor Needs to Understand About Money and Finance, Understanding the Modern Monetary System and Understanding Modern Portfolio Construction.