Here are some wild stats about the current rally in the S&P 500 in 2013 which brings the gains to 17%+:
- Of the twenty weeks this year, just four have been negative weeks.
- Of the four negative weeks just one has included a loss over 2%.
- Of the four negative weeks just two of them included losses over 1%.
- There have been zero 4%+ corrections this year.
- The S&P 500 has gained about 0.18% on average per day year to date.
- The S&P 500 has traded above its 50 day moving average for 98% of the year.
- The S&P 500 is 12.8% above its 200 day moving average.
- The S&P 500 trades at 12.8% or higher from its 200 DMA just 8.3% of the time.
- Said differently, the market spends 91.7% of its existence BELOW the current levels.
- Bonus scary fear mongering unimportant corollary: in 1987 the market shot out of the gates to a 18% gain by May 15. It rallied another 10% before losing more than all of the annual gains in October during the crash.
There’s some perspective on how incredible this year’s move has been so far.
Did you have a comment or question about this post, finance, economics or your love life? Feel free to use the discussion forum here to continue the discussion.*
*We take no responsibility for bad relationship advice.