Maybe you’ve seen this image going around the internet? I saw it on Facebook the other day and then again today on Twitter. It shows the US government budget and compares it to a household:
Now, ask yourself the following questions:
- Has your household been alive for 237 years?
- Does your household have the ability to print US dollars?
- Does your household have the ability to sell debt denominated in the same money you print?
- Does your household have the ability to tax other people to generate revenues?
If you answered no to all of the preceding questions then you should also realize that the analogy above is a complete misrepresentation of the way our monetary system functions.
Latest posts by Cullen Roche (see all)
- How Scared Should we be About Future Returns? - 04/29/2016
- Three Things I Think I Think – Thinking Edition - 04/28/2016
- The Coming Catastrophe for High Fee Active Managers - 04/27/2016
Did you have a comment or question about this post, finance, economics or your love life? Feel free to use the discussion forum here to continue the discussion.*
*We take no responsibility for bad relationship advice.