Jeremy Grantham was on Charlie Rose last week in a rare interview. Not surprisingly, Grantham is not terribly optimistic. Here’s a brief summary though his full thoughts are always worth a listen:
- The global economy is in a long-term slow-down.
- US annual economic growth will never go back to what it once was (3%+).
- Population poses a huge hurdle in the US.
- China is a good growth economy in the short-term, but is a major resource consumer.
- The biggest problem is natural resource scarcity where prices are rising faster than global growth.
- He doesn’t think very highly of Alan Greenspan….
- Bernanke is even more academic and arguably worse then Greenspan was.
- Foreign equities should perform reasonably well compared to the USA.
- GMO is underweight global stocks, significantly underweight US stocks.
Got a comment or question about this post? Feel free to use the Ask Me Anything section or connect with me on Twitter or email.
Mr. Roche is the Founder of Orcam Financial Group, LLC.Orcam is a financial services firm offering asset management, private advisory, institutional consulting and educational services.He is also the author of Pragmatic Capitalism: What Every Investor Needs to Understand About Money and Finance and Understanding the Modern Monetary System.